The User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design associate certificate, which is delivered fully online, provides you with core knowledge and skills to develop engaging and intuitive digital media experiences. You’ll explore information architecture, user experience research, interface design, prototyping, and usability testing and inspecting. You’ll acquire tools to help you generate creative, user-friendly digital solutions that support human behaviour within an interactive, computer-based environment. These skills are in high demand for the design, prototyping, and testing of products for the web, mobile, and other interactive media sectors. The program includes the option of completing a portfolio development course to enable you to display your UI and UX design skills to potential employers and clients.
About the program
- Complete 4 courses specific to UI and UX design, along with a fifth elective course to round out your skills.
- Explore information design and how to improve access and utilization of interactive media.
- Learn to design, deploy, and test prototypes for web and mobile products.
- Benefit from industry instructors, with real-world experience.
- Take advantage of flexible training through part-time studies and attend classes completely online for the entire program.
Learn more about the program goals on the Program Details page.
Who should complete the Associate Certificate in UI and UX Design?
This program might be right for you if:
- You’re new to UI and UX design and want to explore the field.
- You want to advance your career and position yourself as a UI and UX designer.
- You want to add core skills in UI and UX design to your existing background in graphic design, web design/development, marketing communications, IT or computer science.
- You’re a creative professional with basic knowledge of UI and UX design and want to build your understanding of the full spectrum of research, methodologies and frameworks used throughout the design and development life cycle.
Begin your training in UI and UX design by visiting the Entrance Requirements page and the Courses page.
What grads can do
With the applied training you receive throughout this BCIT program, you’ll build a solid foundation in UI and UX design to add to your existing professional toolbox or to explore further education and careers in the digital media/design field.
Learn more about career opportunities on the Graduating and Jobs page.
About Part-time Studies
Take a single course, or work towards a credential — all at a pace that’s right for you.
Part-time courses are offered in a variety of scheduling formats, including at night or on weekends, flexible day time delivery, or you can opt for distance or online learning. If you meet the prerequisites and there’s space available, you can register for a course immediately.
Courses are offered in each of three terms:
Winter (January) and
To apply to a Part-time Studies program and earn your credential, you simply need to complete a Part-time Program Declaration Request. Applications are processed throughout the year.
Important Updates to Part-time Studies
1) Need to waitlist for a School of Business + Media course? Find out more.
2) English Requirement: Find out more.
This program prepares students for positions in UI/UX design or to add UI/UX design skills to their professional toolbox. Positions where these skills are used include: Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Information Architect, Content Manager, Interface Designer, Interaction Designer, User Experience Designer, Customer Experience Strategist, User Experience Copywriter, and User Experience Analyst, among others.
Graduates of the UI/UX Design associate certificate will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of human-computer interaction, the interactive design process, and current trends in the fields of digital interfaces and user experience.
- Research, document, and deploy interface improvements integrated into multi-level prototypes using industry tools and methodologies.
- Generate creative solutions to design problems that support human factors within the digital and new media design environments, specifically for web and app related products.
- Apply creative, critical, analytical, and strategic thinking skills in all phases of the user interface design process.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary projects and demonstrate the attitudes, qualities, and values of professional accountability within the context of digital design.
Graduating & Jobs
UI and UX design skills are in high demand and used across a variety of fields and job categories. Job opportunities will depend on your professional background and previous education.
UI/UX designers belong to the job occupation category of ‘computer programmers and interactive media developers’. They are employed in graphic design/digital media/web development agencies, digital entertainment companies, IT businesses, and a variety of other organizations that develop digital products and services for the private and public sectors or, more broadly, within any business that hires designers to develop web/mobile/digital applications.
UI/UX designers work closely with, or as part of the role of, Content Managers, Information Architects, and Project/Product managers, gathering user requirements, creating wireframes and sitemaps, designing graphic elements and iconography, creating layouts, choosing typography, and building visual navigation systems.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Our instructors are well-connected, digital media and design professionals. All instructors bring current, relevant experience and first-hand knowledge to the classroom.
The program advisory committee (PAC), is made up of some of BC’s top new media professionals representing a diverse range of companies and sectors.
604-453-4032 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-time Studies Coordinator
604-432-8380 | email@example.com
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.