Healthcare Unit Clerks combine healthcare with administrative duties in hospitals and healthcare facilities, and form part of a healthcare team. They act as a vital communications hub that focuses on clerical tasks. Common duties of Healthcare Unit Clerks include:
- transcribing and processing physicians’ orders
- maintaining electronic medical records
- following medical billing practices
- scheduling appointments
Healthcare Unit Clerks use business information systems software and have strong client-service abilities, as well as excellent organizational and communication skills.
The Healthcare Unit Clerk Associate Certificate program is designed to teach applied relevant knowledge about healthcare administration to help prepare you for employment as a Healthcare Unit Clerk. The program includes an 80-hour practicum that allows you to gain real-world working experience.
The courses are offered through Part-time Studies starting three times a year in January, April and September. The January intake offers a fast-track option that allows you to complete the program in eight months plus a practicum and is available for financial aid.
About the program
Employers value BCIT’s applied, job-ready approach to education and training. The BCIT advantage sets our graduates apart from the pack. Our courses are taught by knowledgeable and experienced instructors who are industry professionals.
This program focuses on healthcare administration. All courses are delivered online, and many of the courses will provide you with the opportunity to use business information systems software to complete various tasks.
A hands-on 80-hour industry practicum arranged by BCIT will provide participants with valuable experience and contacts. Participants will be ready to start their career immediately upon graduation.
Learn more about how this program prepares you for a new career as a Healthcare Unit Clerk on the Program Details page.
Who should complete the Healthcare Unit Clerk Associate Certificate?
This program may be of interest to you if:
- You enjoy working with people
- You have excellent organizational and communication skills
- You’re interested in health care and the medical field
Classes fill quickly for this popular program, so be aware of the key registration dates. (updated each term). Then visit the Entrance Requirements page to declare your program.
If you are looking for a healthcare administration program that prepares you to work in settings such as walk-in clinic, family practices and specialist offices, consider the Medical Office Assistant Associate Certificate.
What grads can do
With the job-focused training you receive at BCIT, you will be well prepared for working in hospital departments or healthcare facilities from the day you graduate. You will have many options, as employers are always seeking qualified applicants.
You can continue your education part-time at BCIT, in healthcare administration or business management, with the following programs:
- Medical Office Assistant Associate Certificate
- Business Administration Associate Certificate
- Business Management Certificate
- Business Administration Diploma
Find out more about the new job opportunities awaiting you on the Graduating and Jobs page.
About Part-time Studies
Take a single course, or work towards a credential – all at a pace that’s right for you.
This program is offered entirely online. If you meet the prerequisites and there is space available, you can register for a course immediately. Courses are offered in each of the three terms: Terms start in January, April and September.
To apply for a Part-time Studies program and earn the credential, you simply need to complete a Part-time Program Declaration Request. Applications are processed throughout the year.
Applicants to the BCIT School of Business are required to have completed 2 years of full-time study in high school or a post-secondary program in English in an English speaking country. If you do not have English 12 and have not studied in an English-speaking country, you will need to demonstrate your skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. For information on English equivalencies, testing and upgrading options, visit:
- English Requirements and How to Meet Them
- Assessment Testing
Important updates to Part-time Studies
1) Need to waitlist for a School of Business + Media course? Find out more.
2) English Requirement: Find out more.
Prepare for a rewarding career as a Healthcare Unit Clerk. The courses in this program provide you with the essential skills to take on the everyday challenges and administrative responsibilities in a hospital department or healthcare facility. Your studies will include Hospital Practice Systems, Anatomy and Terminology, Pharmacology, Business Information Systems, Transcription, Electronic Medical Records, Medical Billing Practices, and Healthcare Communication. The program culminates with an 80-hour practicum that will provide you with hands-on training and real-world exposure to the day-to-day work environment of a Healthcare Unit Clerk.
Please check the Program Details page for important information for students approaching the end of the program and preparing for the Healthcare Unit Clerk practicum.
Please note: part-time programs and courses are open enrolment and although we make every effort to accommodate demand, course registration cannot be guaranteed in every semester. High demand courses fill quickly and may result in students unable to register for a course that semester. Courses may also be cancelled due to low enrolment.
The Healthcare Unit Clerk Assistant Associate Certificate program teaches courses that are designed to provide you with the skills and resources necessary to be successfully employed in a hospital department or healthcare facility. All course offerings are held in the evenings and on Saturday online.
Courses in the program cover:
- hospital practice systems
- anatomy and terminology
- business information systems
- electronic medical records
- medical billing practices
- healthcare communication
By developing the key skills for a range of tasks, you will be prepared for administrative responsibilities that may arise in hospital departments, therefore broadening your appeal to potential employers.
You will also attend an 80-hour practicum to gain practical, hands-on work experience.
Important practicum information!
Register for the practicum as early as possible to allow time for you to meet the following requirements before you begin your practicum:
- Up-to-date immunizations are required.
- A criminal record check must be obtained.
- The St. John’s Ambulance two-day Standard First Aid for Industry course OFA level 1 must be completed.
Upon successful completion of the Healthcare Unit Clerk Associate Certificate, you will be able to:
- Describe how the Canadian healthcare system functions.
- Describe the different roles and responsibilities of hospital department employees.
- Describe how the role of the Unit Clerk is changing with Electronic Health Records EHR systems.
- Explain how EHR software is used to transcribe and process physicians’ orders.
- Communicate with a positive tone in both written and oral communication with a healthcare team and when interacting with patients and families.
- Use anatomy and terminology medical names and abbreviations to communicate with healthcare professionals.
- Use conflict resolution skills when interacting with stakeholders to foster positive outcomes.
- Describe basic pharmacology terminology and the different types of drug categories.
- Differentiate between generic and brand-named drugs.
- Explain the similarities and differences of the role of a Unit Clerk in long-term care, acute care facilities and community care facilities.
- Create detailed and accurate electronic billing for the Medical Services Plan MSP of British Columbia.
- Process claims and forms for WCB, ICBC and Teleplan.
- Use critical thinking skills when interpreting information and communicating with healthcare professionals.
Graduating & Jobs
By developing the essential skills needed for a variety of jobs in a hospital department or healthcare facility, you will be well prepared for a successful, rewarding career. The courses and hands-on practicum in the Healthcare Unit Clerk Associate Certificate program all combine to give you the real-world, relevant skills and the confidence that you require to begin your future.
Some job opportunities include:
- Healthcare Unit Clerk
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Medical Clerk
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Record Specialist
Graduates of the Healthcare Unit Clerk program who wish to further develop their healthcare administration training or their business skills and knowledge may consider the following Part-time Studies programs:
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Our instructors are active industry professionals who provide current and first-hand knowledge in their areas of expertise. The materials covered in the Healthcare Unit Clerk program directly relate to work that you will be performing in your future careers. This hands-on training with industry level tools and resources, as well as the 80-hour industry practicum, prepares you for a rewarding position as a Healthcare Unit Clerk.
Part-time Studies Program Assistant
604-451-7085 | email@example.com
604-456-1011 | Paul_Sawyer@bcit.ca
Contact a Part-time Studies Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Course selection and program planning
- Declaring your program
- Making changes to your approved program plan
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Laddering options
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.