The course covers the essentials related to mechanical and electrical design and construction in zero energy/emissions and Passive House buildings. The course will help learners understand unique mechanical and electrical considerations for Net-Zero, Net-Zero-Ready, and Passive House buildings. Key topics include common mechanical systems, energy source options, BC Energy Step Code and Passive House requirements, and integrated design. This course is offered online with live virtual lectures and self-paced learning in the BCIT Learning Hub.
Below is one offering of XZEB 1146 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Dec 05 - Mon Dec 12 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 49313
Class meeting times
|Dec 05 - Dec 12||Mon, Thu||13:00 - 15:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
This course is a 1.5 week course with live lectures on 2 Mondays and one Thursday (1PM-3PM). Instructional sessions are delivered through a live interactive web-lecture through online course portal (BCIT Learning Hub) by industry subject matter expert instructors. Additional independent learning is completed in the online course portal.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe characteristics of common mechanical systems found in Net Zero and Passive House buildings (heating, cooling, DHW, ventilation w heat recovery)
- Describe characteristics of electrical systems found in Net Zero, Net Zero Energy Ready and Passive House buildings (solar ready, PV systems, resiliency, electric vehicle charging, etc.)
- List unique mechanical and electrical considerations for Passive House standard compliance vs. BC Energy Step Code
- Explain considerations for mechanical and electrical systems in Net Zero and Passive House buildings in relation to the 'House As A System'
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Mechanical and Electrical Essentials for Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Buildings (XZEB 1146) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Supervising Net-Zero and Passive House Construction
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Mechanical and Electrical Essentials for Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Buildings (XZEB 1146)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.