This course provides specialized Oil Tanker safety training, training on crude oil washing (COW), and inert gas (IG) systems operation. The course is designed to fulfil the requirements of Section A-V/1 of the STCW Code. There is a practical component to this course for enclosed space rescue. Practical training will be conducted at Dynamic Rescue Facility. The completion of this course is necessary to obtain the Specialized Oil Tanker Training endorsement on a deck or engineer officer certificate. Refer to Section 228 of the Marine Personnel Regulations for details regarding the requirements of this endorsement and training according to personnel responsibilities and position on board.
- MED with respect to STCW Basic Safety, MED in Advanced Fire Fighting, and successful completion of an approved training course in Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization, or holder of an Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization certificate or endorsement. Copies of prerequisites are to be submitted to the course instructor on the first day of the course.
Below is one offering of MSSM 2075 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Nov 14 - Fri Nov 25 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 49092
Class meeting times
|Nov 14 - Nov 25||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC Rm. 255|
IMPORTANT NOTE: CLASS WILL BE HELD ON CAMPUS IN ROOM 255. ORIGINALS and COPIES of prerequisites must be submitted to the instructor on the first day of the course. Please refer to prerequisite section of course webpage for details. Student manual will be provided in class. Required Equipment: Calculator. Refer to the course outline for further information. Note: For the issuance of Transport Canada Training certificates by the school, a Transport Canada, Candidate Document Number (CDN#) will be required. Contact Transport Canada, Marine Safety for further information. Comfortable clothing (long pants) - Steel Toed shoes/boots are mandatory for practical portions of training.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the properties and safe handling of crude oil and distillates.
- Describe petroleum tanker design and construction.
- Describe the development of petroleum tankers.
- Describe cargo handling systems.
- Describe operating procedures.
- Describe inert gas systems.
- Describe procedures for safe tank cleaning.
- Describe crude oil washing systems.
- Adhere to oil pollution regulations.
- Describe the operation and maintenance of fire fighting equipment.
- Describe emergency procedures.
- Describe other safety regulations.
- Describe safety practices and equipment.
- Describe the potential health hazards of crude oil cargoes.
- Describe safe operations in terminals.
- Respond to environmental emergencies.
- Describe transfers of cargo when not alongside.
- Describe pollution control measures.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2009
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Specialized Oil Tanker Safety Training (MSSM 2075)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.