This course familiarizes you with basic design of oil and chemical tankers and their cargo handling systems. The contents of the course covers safe operating procedures on board oil and chemical tankers, as well as the hazards involved in the handling and carriage of crude oil, petroleum products, and chemical cargoes. There is a practical component to this course for enclosed space rescue. Practical training will be conducted at Dynamic Rescue Facility.
- MED with respect to STCW Basic Safety. Copies of prerequisites are to be submitted to the course instructor on the first day of the course.
Below is one offering of MSSM 1600 for the Fall 2022 term.
Below is one offering of MSSM 1600 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Fri Jan 20 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 90729
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Jan 20||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
This section is only available for registration starting Wed October 26, 2022 at 9:00 am (PDT)
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the properties and safe handling of crude oil and distillates.
- Describe petroleum tanker design and construction.
- Describe the development of petroleum tankers.
- Describe cargo handling systems.
- Describe operating procedures.
- Describe inert gas systems.
- Describe procedures for safe tank cleaning.
- Describe crude oil washing systems.
- Adhere to oil pollution regulations.
- Describe emergency procedures.
- Describe other safety regulations.
- Describe the potential health hazards of crude oil cargoes.
Effective as of Fall 2009
Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization Training (MSSM 1600) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Nautical Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization Training (MSSM 1600)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.