This course is intended to provide the student with the knowledge, skill and understanding of leadership and teamwork at the operational level on board a ship. The course is designed to meet STCW requirements for the application of leadership and team working skills, in accordance with the 2010 Manila Amendments of STCW, specifically as stated in tables A-II/1, A-III/1, and A-III/6 (operational level) of Annex A of the STCW Code.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ENAV 2450 for the Fall 2022 term.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyse the contribution of human error in most marine casualties.
- Allocate, assign, and prioritize resources for safe and efficient operation of the vessel, applying task and workload management techniques.
- Describe the causes and consequences of stress and fatigue in marine accidents and incidents.
- Demonstrate effective communication on board, and describe communication protocols commonly used at sea.
- Obtain and maintain situational awareness.
- Demonstrate crisis management techniques, and describe roles and chain of command during a shipboard emergency situation.
- Describe leadership characteristics including persona, assertiveness, and decisiveness.
- Differentiate between team and group behaviour, and demonstrate team synergy in team building exercises.
- Describe a typical error chain, and explain 'active errors' and 'latent errors'.
- Apply the Swiss cheese model to demonstrate how to identify the deep-rooted underlying causes of accidents.
- Present findings and recommendations based on case studies.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Leadership and Teamwork (ENAV 2450) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Marine Engineering
- Nautical Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Leadership and Teamwork (ENAV 2450)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.