This course will provide the necessary theoretical instruction required to write the Technical Safety BC certification examination. Practical training provides the skills required to identify, inspect, diagnose, service, and repair natural gas (CNG) powered vehicles. Contact Technical Safety BC (www.technicalsafetybc.ca) to determine eligibility and to schedule an examination.
- Minimum Third Year Apprentice or B.C. TQ in Automotive, Commercial Transport, or Heavy Duty Mechanic
Below is one offering of AUTO 0134 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Oct 15 - Sat Oct 29 (3 weeks)
- 3 weeks
- CRN 34430
Class meeting times
|Oct 15 - Oct 29||Sat||08:30 - 16:00||Burnaby NE24 Rm. 102|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
CSA approved safety glasses and footwear required. Footwear must be steel-toed, leather, ankle covering boots. Textbook: CSA B109-17 Natural gas for vehicles installation code, Part 1 is required (available at BCIT Burnaby Bookstore: www.bcit.ca/bookstore)
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand properties of natural gas.
- Understand CNG fuel safety procedures.
- Identify different pressure relief devices, valves, cylinder components, lock off devices, and fuel lines.
- Understand basic comprehension of natural gas for vehicles installation code book and requirements for certification of technicians and facilities.
- Understand basic comprehension of CNG equipment, including pressure regulators and other electronic devices.
- Recognize multi-fuel components and the requirements of a CNG conversion.
- Identify and read emissions and understand meaning of open and closed loop systems for electronic fuel injection engines.
- Understand exhaust emission readings and reasons behind specific readings.
- Recognize new technologies in CNG and OEM equipment.
- Understand how to apply for and write the Technical Safety BC certification examination.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Natural Gas Fuel Systems for Vehicles (AUTO 0134)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.