This 8-module course serves as an introduction to the dynamic forces which enhance effective communication between persons from various cultural backgrounds. Its goal is to encourage intercultural communication competency, otherwise known as ICC. Due to rapid globalization, ICC is no longer an option, but a necessity for us all.
Intercultural Communication Competence and Diversity Awareness
Course number: MOOC-0257
Course Title: Intercultural Communication Competence and Diversity Awareness
Completion criteria: Self-Assessment
Completion award: Digital Badge and printable Statement of Completion
Registration fee: None
The knowledge and competencies covered in this course are an important part of everyone’s skill sets in our modern world.
This self-paced independent-study course consists of eight modules. It is recommended that you follow the lessons in consecutive order to maximize the learning.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Differentiate between effective communication vs. effective intercultural communication competency.
- Recognize perceptual barriers to intercultural competence (ethnocentrism, bias, racism) in themselves and others.
- Think critically about how global colonialism and racism have inspired global social movements that aim to eradicate both.
- Evaluate and reflect upon their intercultural selves through appreciative inquiry.
- 10 hours
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register for your course.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your my.bcit.ca email address and your password.
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.